Friday, August 3, 2012

Idle Hands



Not around here buddy!  That's a pic of my color scheme for necrons.  WTF necrons?  Despite recent events, the gears never stop turning.  This month's tournament is 1500pts which is the same as last month.  I tried out tyranids with the new rules last month so this month I wanted to try something different.  This month I'm adding some allies to the grey knight collection.



I actually started on this project a couple weeks ago.  I was sitting on a couple stacks of credit from past tournaments and needed some retail therapy.  I actually went out to get a couple jetfighters for the dark eldar but the shop was sold out so I went for plan B.  You can't go on a retail therapy mission and come home empty handed you know.

I love the new necron models to death, especially wraiths.  Plus they're really good.  Ever since I saw the new kit, all I could think of was the sentinel from The Matrix.  Here's my inspiration:


The painting technique was similar to how I did the ghost knights, but with a blue wash at over the airbrushing.  Don't worry, I took plenty of pics along the way and add the process to my airbrushing series as well.


Here's the list if you missed it in the previous post.

1500pts
Mordrak + 5 ghost knights, banner, halberd x1, hammer x1
Illuminor Szeras
Strike Squad x5 + psycannon
Strike Squad x5 + psycannon
Immortals x5 + tesla carbines, night scythe
Wraiths x6 + whip coils x2
Nemesis Dreadknight + teleporter
Rifleman Dread + psybolts

Anyways, I'm pretty happy with the nearly finished product and have all 6 wraiths, immortals, szeras, and night scythe base coated.  I won't be able to fully finish of course but I should have known by now.  All these lat minute painting projects really need 6 weeks, not the 4 in between tournaments.  One of these days, I need to go back and finish the ghost knights, dark eldar, and new tyranid scheme.  But for now, it's necrons.

I'm trying my hardest to get a practice game next week since I haven't thrown dice since the last tournament.  If that works out, I should have 4 batreps coming with the above list.  After that, I may try to finish the DE or go back to repainting nids.  It mostly depends on what happens with the upcoming chaos release, new DE models, and any changes in DaBoyz GT format.



11 comments:

  1. Stay strong - therapy, retail or hobby will getcha through :-) That theme should both complement and still be distinctive. Makes me want to get an airbrush. Will have to wait though. Fighting thru my Jefferson Memorial terrain build for NOVA, and I'm learning as I go. Fun but less than therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man I have a new respect for the NOVA terrain team. I bought the same foam cutter they're using but I can't even come close to reproducing the buildings they're creating. Hills, area terrain, and crystals are all fine, but their museum and memorials are out of control.

      Can't wait to see yours. I really wanted to make NOVA this year but it's too hard with our work schedules and the baby. I'm really hoping for next year. Everyone else at work has taken at least 2-3 weeks vacation time so far except me. I'm hoping I can pull enough strings and call in enough favors to make it to NOVA and ATC next year.

      Delete
  2. You're all over the place these days, man! Looks pretty cool, definitely got the sentinel look down. Suitably creepy.

    The one thing I have to say of the new wraiths is that I think they are too large. I like the new look, but feel like if they scaled it down 1/3 it would be better.

    Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the new models are a bit too big. Easily twice the size of 3 wound tyranid warriors and grotesques. The model itself is brilliant though with easy assembly and not bad to paint.

      Delete
  3. Gah... I hate going against wraiths. No matter what I throw at them i can never bring enough down before they hit my lines. Paint job is looking good. Can't wait to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. What it comes down to for me is they're everything a tyranid player ever wanted in an assault unit. Fast, high str, multiple attacks, rending, invuln, multi-wound, and fearless. They actually resemble an alien faccehugger too, made robot. Now a CCB with scarab overlord, that's just broken. I'll NEVER add one of those to my collection.

      Delete
  4. As a Tyranid player, I want you to finish your 'Nid re-do, but dayum, that is gorgeous. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. Nids may be next up on the workbench. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to take them or the DE to DaBoyz GT 2012. I could probably win more games with my current nid collection but the DE would give me a much better shot at painting/appearance/theme, but would also need a substantial investment into new units. I haven't decided which path is more important to me yet.

      Delete
  5. I love the effect...please post up any other info you can on this method.

    Basically, it looks like white primer, good shading then a wash?

    What was the wash? Was the shading a transparent paint, or just skillful application of a dark opaque? How much did you thin the wash?

    I would love to see more of this type of scheme...I am trying to achieve something similar with some of my vehicles, but have not quite got it down yet.

    thanks for the post...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The full process with pics will be in the 3rd airbrushing article, maybe tomorrow if the baby naps long enough for me to write the article. Basically, it's:

      1. Prime grey.
      2. Airbrush black into shadows, recesses, and underside.
      3. Airbrush white highlights.

      The 3rd picture shows this progress. After that, I use a very light wash made with 1 drop of cobalt blue, one drop of navy blue, and probably 15-20 drops of water. The wash is really just staining the airbrushed undercoat. If it's too opaque, you'll cover over the white areas.

      I've got a few pics of the night scythe in progress which may be more relevant to your vehicle application.

      Delete
  6. For an army that has traditionally been one colour option - silver and green I love the fat Necrons seem to be THE most varied in paint schemes. So many ideas come forward with them and yours is another scheme that's simple and effective. I thought if I was going to do them they'd be all forms of bronze with Verdigris, the basic warriors being more grimed up as they were left out in the elements whereas the the court would have been more secluded. I'm just resisting the urge to get into them.

    ReplyDelete