March was an exciting month for the Mandulian Chapel. We saw our 300th post and brought our 5th author on board. Crimthaan (Andy) posted yesterday's article and will be a resident Space Marine player and fluff enthusiast. Now that we have five authors, it will be our goal to get in one article per day Monday through Friday. Our content will span from fluff to theory/mathammer, terrain, painting, converting, and battle reports. Together, we share a deep passion and respect for the hobby and the desire to share our thoughts and discuss our experiences. I hope you enjoy the additional content!
Before I dive into my portion of the team tournament coverage, I'm going to bring you up to speed with my CSM rebuild project. If you missed the beginning, I'm taking some of my 2nd edition collection from my college days and repainting them with some new exciting models mixed in for flavor.
To bring a new energy to the collection, I decided to go with Typhus and zombies since my original collection was Nurgle based anyways. I went with the Mantic zombies since they're super cheap. The problem is their zombies are pre-mounted on a plastic disc far smaller than 25mm. Covering up their disc creates new problems so I decided to re-base them before painting to avoid damaging painted models. I started with 1" washers and glued down cork chunks.
The board is just 1" foam insulation with strips of tape tacked down. This is to keep them from flying off once the air pressure hits them. Above they've been primed grey.
Then I airbrushed them with shades of dark fleshtone, earth, cold grey, and white mixed in. The front right row has also been sealed with gloss varnish and an oil wash applied. In the middle some test marines and zombies have been tacked down to see how they look. The bases still need dry brushing, grass tufts, and the washers will be painted black so the rocks pop. All 61 bases took one evening to get this far, and the costs of washers + cork board is less than $15.
Also on the work bench are my custom spawn. I completed the unit of 5 with bits from vargheists, ogres, ghouls, various tyranids, and tentacles from the mutalith face. Only one has received green stuff blending as that project is going to take longer than I anticipated. The unit should look pretty sweet once complete tho.
GW was sold out of Typhus so I decided to go with Scibor's Rotten Lord. Here he is primed and assembled on his cork base. The Slaughter Brute model captivated my imagination so I'm going to work one in as a Maulerfiend counts-as. I attached some dreadnought flamers to his smaller arms to represent magma cutters.
I've been using some new airbrushing, washing, and pigment techniques I picked up from Schnauzerface. You should check out his tutorials on youtube.
This video shows all techniques on a large model. His oil wash recipe is also on youtube.
Here I've airbrushed the base colors with highlights and shadows applied by mixing black/white with the base tones. Choose your assembly carefully as overspray is your greatest enemy in airbrushing. You can mask with tape or blue-tac, but I find it easier to just paint it in pieces. Next I applied the gloss varnish to the entire model.
Here's the model varnished with an oil wash applied. It's pretty impressive for so little work IMO. Doable in 3-4 hours without interruption. I still need to apply highlights and punch in the eyes and inset horns, but it's at a stage where I can move on to another project and still be happy with the way it looks on the table.
Here's the other angle. The gloss varnish distracts the eye so I apply dull cote to take the shine off before applying highlights by hand. Again this is only primer, airbrushed green, black, grey, and purple with an oil wash. I'll also add scraped pastel pigment after highlights and details like Schnauzerface did on his mountain king.
Here's my final WIP update. I call him "mini mauler". He will act as a nurgle palanquin for fluffy fights and a juggernaught mount for a knorne lord in harder games. I wanted him to match the rest of the army despite representing a khorne unit. I decided to go with the beast from the new chariot kit which coincidentally comes with an awesome character model with axes and a mace suitable for the axe of blind fury and black mace. This stage is post-airbrushing and pre-washing.
That's all for now, stay tuned for continued WIP updates. April's event is an 'Ardboyz style event without comp or painting so I'll be taking the full force out then. It should be a really fun army to play and look nice on the table too, eventually. Hope you enjoy some of my cost cutting and time saving steps! I've been lax in my baby pic posting so I'll leave you with the little nerd in jedi training. 14 months old and where has the time all gone!