In the last article I wrote about the ripper pads, I had constructed the bases in which the pads would sit on. Once the clay had dried I created feeder tendrils like I did in the previous articles and positioned them so that it looks like they are coming from the base of the pads and working their way into the surrounding landscape.
|Ripper pad on the wreckage of an imperial ship|
|Ripper pad growing on the ruins of an research substation|
Once the glue dried I then primed the entire pieces black and then I painted the root base, the tendrils, and the pads themselves in a dark brown and then worked in a lighter shade of browns on the raised area. Once that dried I applied a brown wash and then once again highlighted the higher sections with a light brown.
After the brown layers I highlighted the extreme edges with a rust colored orange and then I painted white lines from the base of the ripper pads and worked them up to the edges. I also dry-brushed the top surface of the ripper pads with a light creme color.
Once that was done I painted the earth and surrounding rocks to match with what I did in the earlier articles. After that I added in the plastic vegetation and once that was done I added the tyranid rippers to the pads to make it look like they hatched and are ready to go forth and consume.
|Front of pad 1|
|Back of pad 1|
|Chaos model for scale|
|Side shot of pad on crashed Aquila|
|Close up shot of the rippers|
|Ripper pad on substation ruins|
|Substation generator (back right view)|
|Substation ruins (back left view).|
|Ripper pad on substation scale shot|
|All three pieces side-by-side|
As I finished up this project I was finally able to track down a bottle of water effects and complete the digestion pool as well. It is not as murky as I had hoped so I may pour on another layer with brown inked mixed in to achieve the look.
I hope you like the ripper pads and for the next part in this series I want to work on large scale pieces that create large sections of LoS blocking terrain. I will also be starting work on a new table for the Da Boyz GT. Not sure of the exact theme yet because I am torn if I should make a modular set of terrain, like my past few projects or if I want to create an entire board like I did for the train depot. With a themed board I feel I can better convey a story but the major drawback is transporting the terrain boards and then finding storage after the event. With modular sections, I can easily fit them into a plastic bin and transport them easier and storage is not a problem.
Once I settle on the final project I will share it with you readers and show the progress as I work on the board in preparation for the GT.