Here are the paints I used for the spore pods:
Americana Paints - Avocado
Americana Paints - Buttermilk
GW Agrax Earthshade wash
Folk Art Paints- Coffee Bean
Americana Paints - Fawn
Americana Paints - Buttermilk
Americana Paints - White
Folk Art Paints - Coffee Bean
Americana Paints - Persimmon
Painting the pods:
I painted a base coat of pure Avocado. When that dried I added a little bit of buttermilk paint to the avocado and then dry brushed the raised areas with the mixture. When that dried I gave the painted areas 2 good washes with the Agrax Earthshade.
Painting the ribbing:
After I painted the initial coats on the pod, I turned to painting the ribbing. First I gave the ribbing a base coat of the Coffee brown, followed by Fawn. I covered almost all of the coffee bean with fawn except for the deepest recesses. Then I made a mixture of 75% Buttermilk to 25% Fawn. I dry brushed this over most of the previous coats, except that I kept out of the recesses. When that dried I gave the ribbing a good wash with the Agrax Earthshade.
Blending the pod and the ribbing:
Once all of the washes have dried it was time to blend the green pod with the ribbing. First, I took a small brush and carefully highlighted the upper areas of the pod surface with pure avocado. I mainly concentrated in the upper half and worked on the large, open patches. Once that dried, I added some buttermilk to the avocado again and lightly brushed the raised surfaces. Next I took pure buttermilk and just dry brushed the raised edges of the ribbing. When that was dry I created a very weak wash with the Lich Purple and water. With this I painted over the ribbing and the areas where the ribbing and pod meet. This helps to give it an impression that the ribbing is made of some flesh like substance. Once that dried I added some pure white to the buttermilk and lightly brushed the extreme edges and raised areas of the ribbing. I then worked my way out into the pod from the ribbing to create "veins" to give the impression that the ribbing is taking over the plant.
|Using Tau for scale|
Painting the soil:
For the earth, I base coated the soil and rocks with coffee bean. Then I added a bit of Persimmon to give it a Carolina clay look. After that dried I added a little more of the persimmon and lightly dry brushed the raised areas to add contrast.
Once all the painting was done I added in the plastic leaves like I did for the digestion pool.
Once the foliage was in place I added clumped flock around the clay and shale bases. Then I added in grass flock.
Next week I will start working on my Ripper Spawning Pads but it will probably be a good couple of weeks before I start showing the work due to the fact that I have a couple of games planned for this weekend and then the following weekend is ParkHammer.
So bear with me a bit as I get by the next two weeks and then I will be back in full terrain mode. Next week I will talk about my thoughts on the new Eldar codex and what I plan to run with them at ParkHammer.