Sunday, November 27, 2011
Dark Eldar WIP's: Scourges
Posted by hyv3mynd
My adventure with a new army and new painting techniques continues this week with some scourges. I airbrushed the base colors with these like I did with the grotesque and venom, using it as a glorified primer coat to paint over. Here's a bit of a step-by-step.
I did the wings first. I wasn't super inspired with a color scheme for these guys. I figured I would match the "Twilight's Edge" scheme that I used on the venom on their armor. For the wings, I decided to do something blue similar to Picster's Greater Daemon. For the shading, I sprayed the top direction down with Aqua and the bottom direction up with Pure Black.
The finished wings also incorporated Cobalt Blue and Thunder Blue in the shading. I was demonstrating the process for my friend Gerry at the time, but all 5 sets of wings took about 60 minutes along with our chatting.
Next I started the armor with Autumn Leaves on top.
Then Barn Red mid way down.
Then Violet Purple on the legs.
I finished with Pure Black on the feet.
Base coating the whole squad took just over 2 hours. After that, I assembled the models and started applying washes to shade and dry brushing to highlight.
I thought the wings were a bit too bright for Dark Eldar so I gave them some light black washes. The armor plates got a few washes also.
The highlighted the wings with Dove Grey and a little wicker white. They will probably get one more dry brushing for more contrast.
Here's a test model I took nearly to completion so I can plan everything out.
My favorite aspect of airbrushing is the amount of time it saves. I started this unit last Wednesday night, putting in about 2.5 hours to base coat them. I put in about 2 hours a day since and the unit is nearly complete. Compare that to my Grey Knights which received 6+ hours per model and I'm saving about 20 hours per squad of 5. Not bad huh? The time saving allows me to indulge my painting ADD and jump around a bit.
I decided to try some freehand glyphs inspired by Yellow One's Eldar Vehicles on CMON. It's definitely not on par with his work, but I think it will look real nice if I finish trimming the whole vehicle.
And here's a shot of the total progress I've made to date on the first 500pts of my winter painting league escalation army.
I have 5 wracks and 5 more grotesques to knock out and about 10 days to do it until the escalation brackets begin. I should be able to get everything base coated, shaded, and highlighted in time with help from the airbrush. I enjoy free-handing the tattoos and glyphs enough to want them on every model so that will have to wait until after everything meets the painting minimums to play.
at 10:00 AM