Still chugging along painting 500pts of Dark Eldar for a winter painting league at one of the local shops. I took a 3 week break from painting after the GT and I really started missing it. It's becoming very zen to me; painting these little guys is great relaxation after a long day at work and working on the nursery for my son who will arrive in 8 weeks.
I'm still airbrushing a lot and enjoying it immensely. I wish I would have experimented with it earlier as it would have saved me dozens of hours on my GK army. This week will serve as a tutorial of sorts of how I've progressed on a venom.
I started with Krylon White Primer which I'm using now as a cheap alternative to GW primers. After that, I airbrushed a coat of Autumn Leaves (Folk Art) down the center. I'm using a color scheme from a Dawn of War army I played online many years ago that I named "Twilight's Edge". The colors reflect a late sunset with oranges, reds, purples, and the black of approaching night.
Next I did a coat of Barn Red blended against the orange.
Then a coat of Violet Purple blended into the red.
I finished up the top of the hull with black on the wing tips.
For the undercarriage, I painted the whole piece black then hit the front of the pilot with an Apple Green. I want to create an OSL glow coming from his instrument panel onto his front side.
Then I used Medium Grey to bring up the black a bit on the grate, engines, and anti-grav ribbing.
After that, I assembled the two halves and started black lining the panels by hand. It's still a WIP, but I will be finishing the highlights and detailing by hand. The benefits of airbrushing are immediately apparent. Great blending effects and this whole process took only 90 minutes.
I also did a little work on my test grotesque, adding some tattoos. I wanted to break up the fleshy areas a bit.
That's my progress for this week. Two weeks left to finish the first 500pts so stay tuned for more progress pics. More batreps from the GT will be on the way also.