Friday, November 11, 2011

Millennium Games: Final Open Tourney of the Year


Tomorrow is the final open tourney at one of the local shops before their invitational finals in December.

The format:  1850pts, no special characters, all units in the codex are 0-1 except troops, 2 dedicated transports max.



It's pursuing a similar goal as DaBoyz GT, but with hard limits instead of a comp rubric.  As such, my GT list is fully legal, but I wanted to make a few changes based on things I didn't care for in my original list.  Here's what I'm taking:

Librarian + sanctuary, shrouding, might, quicksilver, vortex of doom
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor + psyocculum, 1 skull
11 Henchmen - 2 crusaders, 1 assassin, 2 plasma cannon servitors, 1 hvy bolter servitor, 2 melta acolytes, 2 naked acolytes, 1 jokaero
Chimera
Venerable Dread - basic
10 Strike Knights + 2 psycannons, psybolt ammo
5 Strike Knights + 2 halberds, 1 hammer, 1 psycannon
Razorback + psybolt ammo
5 Terminators + 1 banner, 1 psycannons, 1 hammer, 1 halberd, 1 stave
Storm Raven + lascannons, typhoon missiles
Nemesis Dreadknight + hvy psycannon
Dreadnought + autocannons, psybolt ammo

So I dropped the techmarine and personal teleporter on the dreadknight for a venerable dread and hvy psycannon on the NDK.  I wasn't a big fan of the psykotroke grenades on a techmarine as half of the possible results are usually useless in any given situation.  Without a true hammer unit and without an invuln save on the techmarine, I was lucky if I used the grenades in half of my GT games. 

I love the teleporter on the dreadknight, but it created some issues for me.  I usually overextended him and lost him early.  The lure of shunting first turn to burn something proved too strong for me often and was never a good investment.  Plus, it was too difficult keeping a 235pt unit alive for late game contesting when it's equipped with a short range weapon.  I decided to leave him on foot and give him a longer range gun which I'll try to synergize with my servo skull.

With the extra points, I added a venerable dread to ride in the storm raven.  This gives me more anti-mech with a multi-melta and str10 in cc.  One of my worst games in the GT involved 4 turns of everything in my army shooting at a land rader (including the melta henchmen and vortex of doom), so I figured the second dread would be more effective than the techmarine.

This event will be a good one for those of you who like seeing non-spammy armies and I highly recommend it if you're reading this and in the area.  I've already qualified for the invitational, so if I place tomorrow my spot will pass down.

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck, some of us Buffalo folk were going to head out but we can't make it. My bro and I have to work and were the ride for another. It would have been fun, it's been quite some time since I have been able to make one. We'll be there in January. A whole new year of tournaments awaits us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks POK.

    I ended up taking 1st with 69 out of 70 possible battle points + painting. Wolves took second with 52 and CSM third with 51.

    First game was vs mech guard. Had to kill one unit from each force org to win. I was able to eek it out by exploding a russ at the bottom of 5.

    Second game was GK vs GK against my buddy Jay W. 3 objectives and he had a 50 marine foot list. It went really well for me with my mindstrike missiles and psyocculum.

    Third game was against a mostly nurgle CSM army played by a really awesome guy and player Craig. I won the first turn but he seized and shot down my storm raven. I was able to slowly come back and win 9-4kp.

    I'll write full batreps after I finish the GT ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun event and good work. Looking forward to January.

    ReplyDelete